Facade of the Montgomery County Courthouse, featuring stately columns and stone stairs, under a blue sky with scattered clouds. Signs for the Montgomery County Criminal Defense Lawyer are visible at the entrance.

Fiance Visa & K1 Lawyer of Montgomery County, PA

A fiance visa, also known as a K-1 visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign citizen to enter the United States to marry a U.S. citizen within 90 days of arrival. After the marriage, the foreign spouse can apply for a green card to become a permanent resident of the United States. If you’re interested in obtaining a K-1 visa, please don’t hesitate to contact a seasoned Montgomery County fiance visa lawyer from Cohen & Patel for guidance today.

Fiance Visa Lawyer | Here to Help You Grow Your Family

Are you looking to marry a foreign national, or are you a foreign national looking to marry a United States citizen? If so, you are in the right place. A knowledgeable Montgomery County immigration lawyer from our legal team is here to make your dream a reality.

Fiance Visa Eligibility

To be eligible for a fiance visa, you and your fiance must meet the following requirements:

  • You are both legally free to marry (i.e., not married to anyone else, divorced, widowed, or annulled).
  • You have met each other in person at least once within the past two years, unless there is a valid reason for an exception (such as cultural or religious reasons).
  • You intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiance’s arrival in the United States.
  • You have sufficient income or assets to support your fiance in the United States.

Necessary Documentation for K-1 Visas

To apply for a fiance visa, you will need to submit the following documents:

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, filed by the U.S. citizen petitioner with USCIS
  • Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, filled out by the foreign fiance online
  • A valid passport
  • Birth certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment papers to prove marital status for both parties
  • Evidence of your relationship, such as photos, letters, emails, phone records, etc.
  • Evidence of your intention to marry, such as engagement ring receipts, wedding invitations, etc.
  • Proof of financial support and that the foreign national will not become a public charge at any point
  • Medical examination results and vaccination records for the foreign fiance
  • Two passport-style photos of each party

The Process

The process of getting a fiance visa involves several steps, and it’s important you have a competent fiance visa lawyer in your corner who can guide you through it. That said, a general overview of this process is as follows:

  • The U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-129F with USCIS and pays the filing fee.
  • USCIS reviews the petition and approves it if all requirements are met.
  • USCIS sends the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC), which assigns a case number and forwards it to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign fiance’s country.
  • The foreign fiance completes Form DS-160 online and pays the visa fee.
  • The foreign fiance schedules an interview appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate and gathers all required documents.
  • The foreign fiance attends the interview and answers questions about their relationship and plans. The consular officer decides whether to grant or deny the visa.
  • If approved, the foreign fiance receives a sealed packet containing their visa and other documents. They must not open this packet until they arrive at a U.S. port of entry.
  • The foreign fiance travels to the United States and presents their packet to an immigration officer at the port of entry. They are admitted as a K-1 nonimmigrant for 90 days.
  • The couple marries within 90 days, and files Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS to apply for a green card.

Contact a Fiance Visa Lawyer Today

Don’t go through the fiance visa process alone. A skilled fiance visa lawyer from Cohen & Patel is here to help you through it, ensuring everything moves along as smoothly as possible. Cohen & Patel proudly represents clients facing immigration matters throughout the United States and in all of Pennsylvania, including in East Norriton, Norristown, Allentown, Lancaster, Bensalem, Easton, Levittown, Bethlehem, Erie, Mechanicsburg, Chester, Harrisburg, and more. Contact us today so we can get started working on your case. Our legal team proudly represents clients in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.

Website Designed & Managed by